First thing’s first, if you’re still driving all your traffic to your home page stop what you’re doing! No matter who your target audience is, we promise they’re looking for a good online experience. You can be making much more efficient use of that traffic by creating customizable landing pages which are tailored to the needs and wants of your viewers, ‘tailored’ being the key word here. Anyone can build a landing page but it needs to be informative, appealing and relevant in order to work and ultimately convert. Here are 10 practices to create a landing page that works.
1) Know your audience. Identify who are they, what they want and how you can give it to them.
2) Know where they’re coming from. By knowing where your traffic is coming from you will be able to improve the positioning of your message and/or offers. You will also have a stronger understanding of your most effective market segmentations, allowing you to get to know your demographic better. Furthermore, by having different landing pages you can increase your SEO ranking as well as your lead generation by up to 12 times when done properly.
3) Have a purpose. Know what you’re hoping to achieve with this landing page. Are you offering them a promotion, do you want signups, do you want them to share your page? Knowing what the purpose is of your landing page will enable you to use proper CTA’s and drive them down the sales funnel.
4) Keep your message clean, concise and commendable. Your verbiage and your design should be informative and inviting. Your landing page is among the first interactive experiences you have with your viewers. Give them some quality content they can’t do without.
5) It’s not about you. Remember, it’s about your viewers. Put yourself in their shoes and imagine what you’d want as a consumer. We bet you’d want honest marketing, something visually appealing, relevant and engaging content, a sweet deal, a clear path guiding you how to get it and a pleasant experience along the way. Don’t offer anything less.
6) Okay, so it’s about you a little. If you have key features, endorsements, testimonials and/or other clients you want to brag about, let your viewers know. Stand apart from your competition by informing your viewers why they should choose you.
7) The power of sharing. You want to share relevant and worthy content with your viewers, that’s awesome! But don’t stop there. By adding the appropriate links to your social media channels, your viewers can share their experience with their network which will get your message out at a much faster rate.
8) Test & track. Your landing page success will come with A/B testing and tracking the results. You may want to consider testing the colors of your campaign, the size, shape and placement of your CTA button, your page’s visual cues, your headlines as well as the typeface you use. Don’t be afraid to switch up your approach to see what works best for your audience.
9) Be polite. Your viewers followed your advice; they clicked your CTA, they entertained your offer, they gave you their information – or at least their attention… go the extra mile and thank them for being part of your campaign’s journey. A bonus feature, additional content or an entry to a giveaway is always appreciated.
10) Don’t be greedy. Once you have your viewers’ attention it may be tempting to overwhelm them with information, you have so much to say after all! Try not to come on too strong, you risk losing their attention. Avoid these bad habits:
- Bombarding them with too much information
- False promises (i.e.: saying it’s free when it’s not)
- Switch-bait tactics (i.e.: offering one thing and giving them something else, using headline text that is not relevant to your page)
- Asking for information you don’t need
- Spamming them with emails once you have their email address
- Making the opt-out process difficult
Hubspot released a list of 15 of the Best Landing Page Design Examples You Need to See, and their contenders are on point.